A PGA Tournament Preview of The American Express at PGA West Stadium Course and PGA West Nicklaus Course — Palm Desert, CA. StatementGames alternative Fantasy Golf, play for FREE and WIN CASH Rewards.
When: January 21 – 24
Where: PGA West Stadium Course & PGA West Nicklaus Course – La Quinta, CA
TV: Golf Channel – (Thursday) 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM ET
(Friday) 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM ET
(Saturday) 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM ET
(Sunday) 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM ET
PGA West Stadium Course
Designer: Pete Dye, Greg Norman, Jack Nicklaus (1986)
Greens: Bermuda grass – Fairways: Bermuda grass
Course Record: 63 – Charlie Reiter (2019)
Player Field: 156 Players
Purse: $6,700,000 Million
Winner’s Share: $1.206 Million
FedExCup Points: 500 To Winner
The American Express – 3 PGA Players To Watch
Andrew Landry – A year ago he produced some of his best golf that led to his second career victory on the PGA Tour. Landry clearly likes playing in this tournament. He lost in a four-hole playoff in 2018 to Jon Rahm and won last year at 26- under par. However, returning to the desert this year doesn’t feel like a normal title defense.
“It doesn’t feel like it’s been a year. It feels like yesterday,” Landry said Wednesday as he prepared to defend his title in La Quinta. “It’s not the same.”
Cameron Champ – is a native Californian and a great pick this week. His last win took place in The Golden State at the 2019 Safeway Open (Silverado) and PGA West feels like a great spot for the 25 year old to get his third PGA TOUR victory. Both of his wins have been relatively low scoring (-17 and -21) and a birdie-fest out West should be right in his wheelhouse.
Historically, despite his power off of the tee, Champ has found success on short Par 72 courses. He is a TOUR average putter on Bermuda, compared to a negative putter on all other surfaces. With his tee-to-green prowess, a slightly positive putting week should be all he needs for a top 10 finish.
Sam Burns – has never won on the PGA Tour. However, he has several top 10s and is poised for a great 2021. Over the last three months, the six best players on the PGA Tour from tee to green have been Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Justin Thomas, Jon Rahm & Sam Burns.
The American Express Golf Tournament & Fantasy Golf Predictions
PGA Tournament Preview Facts
- The American Express has undergone several name changes in its history and was most recently known as The Careerbuilder Challenge (2016-18), and Dessert Classic (2019), before becoming The American Express last year.
- This tournament is unique in that it has traditionally been played across three courses. In 2021 it will only be played across two courses.
- PGA West’s Stadium Course is the more challenging of the two and similar to other Pete Dye courses can be visually intimidating to golfers. It was ranked as one of the top 50 most difficult courses in America back in 2007 and can certainly punish those that are not on their game with water coming into play on nine of its eighteen holes.
StatementGames Alternative Fantasy Golf Picks
- Cameron Champ Vs Emiliano Grillo – Cameron Champ (Best Finishing Position)
- Overall Tournament Winner WINS BY UNDER 2.5 Strokes
- Sam Burns Vs Lanto Griffin – Sam Bruns (Best Finishing Position)