Spread the love
Detroit Tigers – a Charter Member of the American LeagueThe Detroit Tigers joined the American League at it’s inception in 1901. The Tigers are the oldest, one name, one city, continuous franchise in the American League. In their history the Tigers have appeared in 10 World Series winning 4 times:
- 1907 Detroit Tigers 0 Chicago Cubs 4 (Tigers held to only 6 runs in 5 games including a tie)
- 1908 Detroit Tigers 1 Chicago Cubs 4 (Ty Cobb led the Tigers with a .368 average)
- 1909 Detroit Tigers 3 Pittsburgh Pirates 4 (Babe Adams won 3 games for the Pirates)
- 1934 Detroit Tigers 3 St. Louis Cardinals 4 (Dizzy & Paul Dean won 2 games each for the Cards)
- 1935 Detroit Tigers 4 Chicago Cubs 3 (Pete Fox got 10 hits for the Tigers and batted .385)
- 1940 Detroit Tigers 3 Cincinnati Reds 4 (Schoolboy Rowe lost 2 games for the Tigers and had a 17.18 ERA)
- 1945 Detroit Tigers 4 Chicago Cubs 3 (Doc Kramer got 11 hits and batted .379 for the Tigers)
- 1968 Detroit Tigers 4 St. Louis Cardinals 3 (Mickey Lolich won 3 games for the Tigers)
- 1984 Detroit Tigers 4 San Diego Padres 1 (Alan Trammell had 9 hits and batted .450 for the Tigers)
- 2006 Detroit Tigers 1 St. Louis Cardinals 4 (Tigers as a team batted .199 in the series)
- 2012 Detroit Tigers 0 San Francisco Giants 4 (Tigers as a team batted .159 in the series)
Great Detroit TigersThe Tigers have had many great players in their history. Ty Cobb of course tops the list. But there are many others such as; Al Kaline, Hank Greenberg, Jim Bunning, Charlie Gehringer, Mickey Cochrane, Alan Trammell, Goose Goslin, Lou Whitaker, Denny McLain, Ivan Rodriguez, Willie Horton, Jack Morris, Mickey Lolich, and many more who have worn the Detroit Tigers uniform.
Tigers In 2020In 2020 the Tigers finished in last place in the American League Central Division with a record of 23 Wins & 35 Losses. The Tigers also finished in last in 2019. Last season the Tigers offense was once again led by Miguel Cabrera with 10 Home Runs & 35 RBI’s. However he only hit for a .250 batting average. Willi Castro led the Tigers in batting last season with a .349 average. The Tigers offense was not the issue last season. Starting pitching was. 5 of the 6 starters last season ended with an ERA > 5.6 runs a game. Only Spencer Turnbull who went 4 – 4 with a 3.97 ERA was better than consistently awful. The Bullpen while better than the starters was not exactly lights out. Joe Jimenez the closer had 5 saves but with an ERA of 7.15 (which wasn’t even the worst on the staff). Jose Cisnero and Daniel Norris each won 3 games. But the star of the Tigers pitching last season was Bryan Garcia who went 2 -1 with 4 saves and an ERA of 1.66.
The 2021 Detroit Tigers PreviewWe have to again mention Miguel Cabrera who should reach 500 career Home Runs this season. He only needs 13 to reach that milestone. Cabrera also needs 134 hits to reach 3,000 for his career. If he stays healthy and productive there’s an opportunity to also achieve this accomplishment in 2021. The Tigers are a young team with a payroll of $96.1m, however almost one third of that payroll is Miguel Cabrera who will make $30m. Cabrera is signed through 2024 and will average $31m a year for that period. The Tigers signed Cabrera to an 8 year deal and like the Angels who signed Albert Pujols to a 10 year contract they have to be regretting it. The Tigers are taking a flier on Derek Holland this season. Holland was once a very good starting pitcher for the Texas Rangers but that was back in 2011 – 2013. However since then Holland has battled injuries. In the last 4 seasons his lowest ERA was 5.90. The Tigers have some dependable veterans like Jonathan Schoop to mix in with their youngsters. But the Tigers will again only go as far as their pitching will carry them.
Detroit Tigers WIN Total PredictionNot much is expected for the Tigers in 2021. Their projected win total is 66. Unless Derek Holland reverts to his early Texas Rangers form I think 66 wins is a little high. I tend to believe they’ll come in somewhere in the 61 – 64 range. The Tigers have a lot of young arms and you can never be certain that one or two might break from the pack and have a great season but across the line their pitching was so bad last year it’s difficult to predict a big turnaround. Additionally Miguel Cabrera will turn 38 years old in April.
Alternative Fantasy BaseballStatementGames gives Detroit Tigers supporters and Major League Baseball fans a chance to play Fantasy Baseball days before the season starts. We invite all readers to try our MLB OVER / UNDER wins total tournament! To play this alternative form of Fantasy Baseball – log into www.statementgames.com and join the 2021 MLB OVER / UNDER WINS Total Tournament.
- Review a list of all MLB teams and their OVER / UNDER WIN Total Odds
- Select 10 OVER / UNDER WIN Total Props
- Rank your picks in order of confidence from 10 Through 1
- Play in leagues of 8-12 MLB fans
- At the conclusion of 2021 MLB Season – the individual with the most points from correct picks WINS.
- FREE 2 Play – Play for CREDITS that can be exchanged for CASH REWARDS.
Also Available In the Apple App Store
GIVE A BOOST